Friday, November 10, 2006

When war meets video games

Our society today no longer find board games or video games such as Mario that interesting unlike 20 years ago. We are so used to seeing or hearing about violence everday that it is part of our everyday life. Teenagers today aren't easily satisfied, they want games that are more realistic and something that they can relate to (even if its stealing or killing people). In my opinion, I think war games are very popular now because its just plain fun. I admit I like war games because its fun to kill people (especially in Halo). I know that sounds wrong but it is fun and I know a million other people think the same. I don't know why its fun. I guess it’s the fact that people find it funny. Believe me people do. I think our society today is so used to hearing about violence everyday that it doesn’t bother them when they shoot someone till they die in war games. Even kids as young as five, play war games because that's the environment they grew up in. A lot of teenagers play war games because they find it entertaining. Some even turn it into a contest; they try and kill each other in the most violent way. I think it doesn’t stop people from being sensitive about war because playing war and being in an actual war are two different things. It’s like saying you're not afraid of heights while you're standing on the ground but when you go inside the CN tower and look down. You may find that the height is slightly terrifying. Killing computer AI's doesn’t bother me because its not real. You cannot compare virtual reality to reality, because when it comes to killing a real person, I wouldn’t even be able to hold a gun. Thinking about a real war in Canada still scares me and I would never want that to happen but playing war games at home is just way too much fun to give up. What can I say? I guess I’m just used to violent games that I don’t even cringe when they show blood squirting out of the dead body. Ever since they introduced war games, seeing someone die is like an everyday thing. So, when it actually happens it doesn’t really affect people (people who aren’t close to that person anyway). War games could also help people deal with war or emotions (eventhough its fake). Some people find that killing computer AI's very relaxing when they are angry. Personally, i get tired of video games very easily, so i need something new and exciting to play. That's why a lot of companies are making war games because that's what people find interseting these days.

Well that's my opinion anyway =D

6 Comments:

Blogger Anri Lin said...

Edits:
-findS
-I know a million other people WHO think the same
-but when you go inside the CN tower and look down [COMMA instead of a period] you may find that the height is slightly terrifying.
-interESting
-(THOSE who aren’t close to that person anyway).

5:11 PM

 
Blogger Anri Lin said...

Im and editting freak Im not afraid to admit it! >D

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Anri Lin said...

What are Als? 0_0?

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm actually a little surprised to hear this from you but, this is an interesting way to express your opinions. I love the fact that you have related this question to yourself and other games. The only problem is, I'm not completely sure that our society no longer find board games or video games such as Mario less interesting.

For example, today's society has only updated board games and creating new ones such as Cats Monopoly or Disney SceneIts. I believe they can be just as fun and interesting as they were years ago.

There is also something that seems quite contradictory in your entry. You say that:

"...they want games that are more realistic and something..."

Then you led us to: "...its fun to kill people."

In short, you are trying to say that teenagers today prefer more realistic games. The reason why you'd prefer those games is because "its fun to kill people". You've led us thinking that it's more fun to kill people in a more realistic 'virtuality', right?

Then you said:

"Killing computer AI's doesn’t bother me because its not real."

Isn't the more realistic more fun? In your mind, you may think that this is -still- only a game, but many others will find this misleading. Especially the children.

Also, war and fighting should not be taken insensitively, especially if it was real and/or it has happened in the past.

8:31 PM

 
Blogger jade said...

Hey Roshan,
I totally agree with you when you say you can`t compare virtual reality and reality itself - they`re two different dimensions...!
Like you, I guess I`m just used to it.

10:41 PM

 
Blogger Anri Lin said...

Mario. Halo. Mario. ...Final Fantasy!!

7:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home